Gallery of past work

Monday 11 February 2013

Geological section



Beneath Our Feet Series I
Geological Section
At last, I have finished my Cotswold inspired Geological Section piece. This is just as well as it's due to be handed in on Tuesday for the Great Western Embroiderers' exhibition which opens in Malmesbury Town Hall Gallery on 18 February.

In fact, in the end, all those trials I did were really helpful in working out how to cope with the surface treatment, despite my misgivings. I hand stitched in the free-flowing way I'd used on the stitch doodle I posted at the end of January and machine stitched pretty much as planned - but perhaps not quite as formally. The stitching is shown in the detail below. The hand stitching technique was really enjoyable to do but very time-consuming on a piece 4 feet long.

If I continue with my plans and produce two more pieces in the series, I'll maybe have to come up with a faster solution. Comments were made about the economics of the situation - time spent versus likely income from any sale .... he's right of course, but fortunately this is not an issue, for me at least.

Detail showing stitching








For more details of our exhibition - The Cotswolds - A Stitching Experience - which runs for three weeks in Malmesbury Town Hall Gallery, see my post on 3 January.

2 comments:

  1. The economics don't count for a work of love ... I'm betting that this is growing on you .
    And it is lovely and worthy of a sister or two !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your lovely comment ... and you're right, it has grown on me. I feel I now know how to do the next one... or two...

      Delete

Hello and thank you very much for taking the time to leave a message on my blog. Every comment is welcome and I will try to answer you as soon I can.