Gallery of past work

Monday 23 September 2013

Unfinished business in black and white

I'm not sure why I called this post unfinished business when, actually, all my pieces are unfinished in the sense that one leads into another and then another and so on as new ideas and developments come to mind. Perhaps it's because these drawings feel more unfinished than most things and are posted here while I think what, if anything, to do with them.

Once a week I draw, play with mixed media, talk and generally enjoy myself with an artistic friend in her small studio. The work I do there often has nothing at all to do with the things that are most motivating me at the time - in itself, a kind of liberation.

So these are the - definitely unfinished - results of today's drawing exercise stimulated by a still life of bottles, a jug and various boxes. I have included the whole drawing and a small section identified as I so often do using a card window and the crop tool on my laptop.





As always, I did my own thing. I drew initially without looking at the paper, purely studying the outlines of the objects - always a favourite technique of mine.






I have a lurking fear that it is the choice of laziness as it generates a quick, easy and - to me - pleasing set of shapes to work on ... or perhaps it's what I choose in order to circumvent that requirement lurking in my subconscious to 'get it right' in a literal sense which can be so paralysing.

Whichever it is, the morning was very satisfying and generated much conversation about the whys, wherefores and purposes of drawing.

I will go back to this exercise next week somehow ... It will be interesting to see what form it takes ...










12 comments:

  1. I too enjoy blind drawing - especially people when I can. I also am a great believer in cropping to focus on a dramatic composition. Both activities can be so encouraging and liberating - and I find can stimulate work that really pleases me. Isn't it great too to bounce ideas about with a similarly minded friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The similarly minded friend is a wonderful find indeed and I am lucky - I have two within 5 miles of my house and a great group of fellow stitchers close at hand.

      Delete
  2. Drawing in this way gives so many possibilities. Great results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... and the unpredictability of the results is very stimulating, I find ...

      Delete
  3. I just love these drawings. I would not have given a perfect rendition a second glance, the quirkiness makes me want to look and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments - as always much appreciated. I love doing these. The Mick Maslen book I blogged about some time ago has been a great source of inspiration and enjoyment ... and there are lots more things to try ...

      Delete
  4. Oh, I would never consider any sort of creative endeavor laziness -- but just a 'freeing' of the mind. Just as our legs long to wander hither and there with no destination in mind - so do our creative juices. Anyway, for a non-drawer I say these are lovely and your 'freedom' of mind comes through beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A freeing of the mind ... I like that .. much prefer it to laziness!

      Delete
  5. '...all my pieces are unfinished in the sense that one leads into another and then another...'

    I love this thought, considering each piece of your art as a word in a never-ending narrative of sorts. As for cropping your images, why not? Photographers have done it forever, our vision unavoidably 'crops' every sight that comes within its range, our mind 'crops' meanings and interpretations down to what we can comprehend. I really like your drawings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You express beautifully the thought I was feeling my way towards - art work as a never-ending narrative of sorts - lovely and thank you ... and how that removes the pressure of 'getting things right and finished' if the next piece of work can be a development of the last and an opportunity to progress.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thank you very much - and welcome to my blog! I will be visiting yours ...

      Delete

Hello and thank you very much for taking the time to leave a message on my blog. Every comment is welcome and I will try to answer you as soon I can.