Gallery of past work

Monday 27 April 2015

Drawing Movement with light

My daughter introduced me to these extraordinary photographs recently.

They were taken by Stephen Orlando, an Ontario-based photographer who is fascinated with human movement.  He attaches LED light sticks to kayak and canoe paddles and other objects and uses long-exposure photography to record the movement.

With an exposure of 20 to 30 seconds, the kayak becomes invisible. By this method, his photographs record only the arcing movements of the paddle in the hands of the canoeist. I find the resulting light paintings quite beautiful.






Further images are available here and here.

... A new form of drawing - drawing with light ...?


2 comments:

  1. Wow, these are just amazing and so beautiful. Thanks to your daughter for the find and sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found them irresistible. I didn't set out to post them but they somehow edged their way onto my screen! Glad you enjoyed them.

      Delete

Hello and thank you very much for taking the time to leave a message on my blog. Every comment is welcome and I will try to answer you as soon I can.