Gallery of past work

Monday 12 October 2015

Mark making in Graphite

Mark making on Thursday was with graphite pencils of varying thicknesses and grades up to 8B. I experimented with ways to use the pencils - on their points, on their sides, at an angle and on their blunt end. I drew with control, smoothly and gently, or pressed hard and scribbled to discover which results satisfied and perhaps suggested landscape forms most successfully.




The drawings proved surprisingly difficult to photograph effectively but told me much, which is the main thing. It will be interesting to see how well they combine with acrylic paints ... the next project. 


4 comments:

  1. GREAT. Potential here! That's relly looking interestion. I have not tried graphite but DO love pencil drawing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graphite is a fairly new medium for me - certainly not one I've used much till these experiments. It seems to offer me freedom of expression in a way that pencil does not and I like the great contrast in tone and mark that is possible.

      Delete
  2. These look great! What sort of paper are you using??? And did you do any prep work on the paper (like gesso, for instance) before beginning. So much fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marny. This time, I'm using 90 gsm acid free cartridge paper - nothing special at all. I've done no prep work - though the thought of applying gesso before I begin is a good suggestion which I will try. It would perhaps roughen the surface which might be interesting.
      This whole thing is fun. In the new year, I will have to settle down to something focused ready for an exhibition next year, but right now, I have the time to drift with my mood and explore what comes to mind.

      Delete

Hello and thank you very much for taking the time to leave a message on my blog. Every comment is welcome and I will try to answer you as soon I can.