Gallery of past work

Friday 15 January 2016

Winter, like every year

In the last few days, the ceaseless rain has stopped, the sun has shone and it's been seasonably cold. Winter is at last here in its usual form and it's a relief, which surprises me.

I was out and about on Wednesday and took these photos on my mobile phone of flooded fields near the River Thames headwaters at Ashton Keynes (no camera). These fields flood most winters, often only for a day or two, and generally no houses are damaged so I feel I can enjoy the reflections without any thought of problems for nearby families.



























And next, over the weekend, we're promised a hard frost to enjoy. Funny how absence makes one fonder, even with the weather.


9 comments:

  1. Lovely! These look like lakes... until I read your words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the gentle face of winter flooding - this year in this area contained and calm and good to photograph. But it's not been like that everywhere. Many in the UK have had it hard.

      Delete
  2. We should have more fields that flood instead of houses being built on flood plains. Beautiful images.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right. There has been too much confidence from planners that everything is under control.

      Delete
  3. Oh - that last reflection is stellar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - it was a lovely calm day. I was just sorry I didn't have my good camera with me. Though phone cameras are amazing for their size, I have yet to find a way to zoom or adjust as I take the photos. Any thoughts?!

      Delete
    2. Not a clue. I have stayed away from making the leap from a very basic and relatively dumb cell phone to the overly active smart phones. I see some mighty impressive on-line photos, but always with tiny dpi's and pixelating and other issues if you look at them closely. I think it's a matter of what smart phone options are the most important to you. Like anything that multi-tasks, it can't do everything well and some phones, I think, do give you a better camera at the expense of other features. Google google and read the reviews - like we have time for that kind of research - lol

      Delete
  4. je n'aime pas l'hiver... seulement en photo...(elles sont belles!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. J'aime l'hiver et le froid ... en petits morceaux et sûrement pas extrême.

      Delete

Hello and thank you very much for taking the time to leave a message on my blog. Every comment is welcome and I will try to answer you as soon I can.