Gallery of past work

Saturday 7 May 2016

Finding time

Finding time and images that are interesting to post has been hard recently. Visitors and a short trip away, a big spring clear out of things no longer needed (vital in both work room and wardrobe after five years in the same house and no real action on that front) and the decision to return to weaving have all kept me away from my blog.

However, much of the clearing out is now done (not all, you note), the visitors whose company we've much enjoyed have gone home and my weaving has reached a stage where there is something that is I hope of interest to show.


When finished, the piece will measure approximately 35 by 30 cms and is based on several photographs I took of a wonderfully graphic highrise building in Sydney last autumn. I'm weaving the strips with a weaving needle and then stitching them together on the reverse. I'm adding couched threads to the surface. That sliver of red on the left is a narrow ribbon of leather which I've integrated into the piece to suggest the shiny nature of the building and to give contrast with the yarns I'm using in the rest of the work. 

There is still much to resolve but so far so good. If it works well, I have plans for further weaving based on other modern buildings seen on the same trip - a much-needed change from stitching and working directly with my photos. 

Thoughts about where to take that work are on-going. I often find that a change helps the progress of other, quite different work. The brain seems to go to work behind the scenes and present new thoughts unbidden. I hope it will work this time!

10 comments:

  1. This is brilliant, I love it. It must be amazing to touch as well. What a lovely translation of your photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marny. This piece was brewing in the back of my mind even as I stood and photographed the building beside Darling Quay in November. I had similar thoughts (though less defined) about several other buildings on that trip, so more weaving may follow if I can pull my ideas into coherence.

      Delete
  2. I love the elegance of this piece, and the diversity of texture within it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very many thanks, Olga, for your kind comments. I'm trying for simple contrasts of colour in this piece enlivened by the use of varied yarns and materials so the word 'elegance' is most encouraging.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you, Sharon. It's good to be back to weaving - I've missed the meditative quality of the process. It seemed a particularly good medium for realising for this image.

      Delete
  4. Love this, the simplicity of line and colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very many thanks, Debbie. As I said in a previous post, the challenge of this was to achieve simplicity ... and to maintain it despite the impulse to over-embellish at the end!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Merçi Elfi ... beaucoup de curiosité, certainement!

      Delete

Hello and thank you very much for taking the time to leave a message on my blog. Every comment is welcome and I will try to answer you as soon I can.