Gallery of past work

Monday 6 February 2017

Corinium Museum Gallery

This afternoon, my husband and I went to the current exhibition in the Corinium Museum Temporary Exhibitions gallery in Cirencester. This time, there was a showing of art and craftwork which the gallery describes as showcasing: ' artwork in a variety of mediums and genres inspired by Cotswold Landscape'. 

This small exhibition in this attractive gallery was being held to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the designation of the Cotswolds as an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. It was open to amateur and professional artists and the work was varied and interesting. The work of two makers especially caught my eye.

The first was a pair of wonderful blown glass bottles entitled Essence 2 by Colin Hawkins. These were large and exquisitely proportioned and we both spent several minutes enjoying them - and fighting the temptation to touch and stroke the generous shapes.


More beautiful examples of Colin Hawkins' work and of that by Louise Hawkins can be found here. The two makers are based at a studio in The New Brewery Arts Centre in Cirencester. Like the Corinium Museum, this is in the centre of the town and is well worth a visit. I visit both venues regularly and made a mental note to take up the invitation on the website to go in and see the glass being made. 

The other maker whose work I enjoyed was Rebecca Connolly.  I have posted about her work before and she has been helping me recently to develop my weaving skills. It was lovely to see her length of fabric and cushions which were handwoven on her treadle loom in her studio.


We are lucky here in the North Wiltshire / South Gloucestershire area to have these two excellent venues close at hand. The work on show in The New Brewery Arts Centre is particularly varied and interesting. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and thank you very much for taking the time to leave a message on my blog. Every comment is welcome and I will try to answer you as soon I can.