Gallery of past work

Wednesday 31 January 2018

Architectural follow-up

This experimental image has developed from the picture taken of a high rise building in downtown Vancouver, BC, last summer which featured in my last post. As I explained there, I cropped several small sections of the photograph, turned them to black and white, flipped them, enhanced them in various ways and printed them out 13 cm square.


For this exercise, I used the first cropping, chosen for its simplicity and the angles within it which I thought would give interesting interplay when repeated and offset. 


Next, I traced over the outlines in pencil (hence the rather murky appearance of this photo) several times, flipping and moving the images around. I then photographed it ...


... and imported it to Photoshop where I played with outlines and positioning of the shapes. I then filled the shapes selectively and added two lines in dark grey which  changed the perspective surprisingly and remade the link to a built structure. Extraordinary what a difference two lines can make ...



Finally, to cheer up a grey and depressing afternoon, I tweeked things a little further and added some colour with something of a nod to the original photo ...



4 comments:

  1. I do find these experiments of yours interesting. They feed into my general thinking about the relationship of 3D to 2D and vice versa. In this case I really like the shapes you have made, both the monochrome and the coloured version. I find the latter evocative of the beautiful woven work used for architectural interiors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your comments, Olga. I’d be most interested to know what particular woven work the last image evokes for you.

      Next ... 2D back to 3D to complete the circle? I will post anything of interest that materialises.

      Delete
    2. I was vaguely thinking of those wondrous weavers who designed the London Underground seating covers - such as Enid Marx, and those folks who developed from Bauhaus. Obviously not exactly the same - not least because they often were looking at pattern - but that kind of feel. The new designers of the Crossrail seating covers are following in their footsteps: Wallace Sewell.

      By the way, although I very much like the 'cleanliness' of your developed design, I do also miss the line of dots - perhaps because they remind me of perforations and sort of indicate lines of folding.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Olga for your response to my question about the weavers. Your answer was very interesting. I will follow it up.

      As to those dots. I added them in photoshop in the originals and you’re right I think. They add something important but I have plans! When I go 3D this may involve punching holes perhaps with a thin black piece of backing paper. Time will tell.

      Delete

Hello and thank you very much for taking the time to leave a message on my blog. Every comment is welcome and I will try to answer you as soon I can.